Welcome to Term 2!
Here is what we will be up to this term:
· We have started reading ‘The Burnt Stick’ by Anthony Hill in our Literacy Groups. We have also started mapping new vocabulary from our weekly spelling lists.
· Every day in Mathematics we practice speed drills and discuss whole number. The class has already significantly improved their understanding of factors.
· In History we are finishing our unit about Federation in preparation of our excursion to Canberra in Term 3
· Our unit of study in Science is ‘It’s Electrifying’. A visit from Rumbalara’s Bright Sparks Energy Trailer will support this. Cost is $5. Permission note has been sent home.
Stage 3 Camp Canberra: Costs have now been finalised at $360 including the $50 deposit already paid. Payment plan information has been sent home.
School begins at 8.55am daily. Students who arrive after this time must go to the office for a late pass.
Important days in the week:
Library: Tuesday Sport: Friday
School Website and School App
Our School website is constantly being updated with new information so it is important to check it regularly for updates. The school app is free and can be downloaded through iTunes.
Students are unable to share equipment so it is necessary for students to bring to class -
- a ruler with millimetres (no metal or bendy ones please), lead pencils, blue, black and red pens, (simple biro pens with no fancy attachments please as they tend to be distracting), large scissors, glue, sharpener, eraser and coloured pencils enclosed in a small pencil case. Large pencil cases take up too much room on desks. Please label all items.
- Please provide a box of tissues for the class to use. Thank you to those families who have done so already.
- Note: no liquid paper / whiteout
In preparation for high school, homework is able to be completed online through Google Classroom. For those students without computer access, paper copies is given. Homework is to be returned to class teachers by Friday morning. Homework includes:
· Home Reading: Most students in Stage 3 are independent readers who can choose their own books from home and the Library. Reading material does not have to be limited to books but can include magazines, newspapers and is to be for enjoyment. Students must bring in their reading logs, signed by a parent at least once a week.
· Spelling – students write out their words four times a week, ideally each day.
· Mathematics – students set their own level to practice their times table multiplication facts. Once they get 100% in a week, they move on to a new level.
· Speech – students were given additional time in week 5 to write and practice their speeches, with time available during the day to seek feedback or ask for assistance.
Please ensure all clothing especially hats and jumpers are clearly labelled.
It is a Departmental of Education requirement that parents provide a letter explaining a child’s absence from school. Any leave (short or long term or partial ie; part of a day) must have the approval of the Principal. A letter beforehand will assist.
Asthma medication should be kept in the student’s schoolbag and the office, and class teachers need a copy of the Asthma Management Plan prepared by your doctor. All other medication MUST be kept at the office and parents will need to complete a medical indemnity form giving details of doses and times. If your child has any allergies or medical conditions that may require urgent treatment our school needs an Action Plan. Please contact us for more details about medical conditions.
Looking forward to a great term
(Mr) Michael Burleigh
5/6G class teacher