5/6R - Welcome to Term 1!
Here are just some of the things that we will be up to this term.
- Our shared novel this term is, ‘Rowan of Rin’ by Emily Rodda
- We are continuing with increasing addition, subtraction, multiplication & division strategies every day.
- Our unit of study in Science is “It’s electrifying’.
Fitness: Please note students participate in fitness activities each day, so it is important for them to be wearing runners or shoes that are safe to run in every day.
Please make sure your child has the following equipment:-
- A ruler with millimetres (no metal or bendy ones please), lead pencils, blue, black and red pens, (simple biro pens with no fancy attachments please as they tend to be distracting), large scissors, glue, sharpener, eraser and coloured pencils enclosed in a small pencil case. Large pencil cases take up too much room on desks. Please label all items.
- Please provide a box of tissues for the class to use. Thank you to those families who have done so already.
- Note: no liquid paper / whiteout
In preparation for high school, homework is able to be completed online through Google Classroom. For those students without computer access, paper copies can be given. Homework is to be returned to class teacher by Friday morning. Homework includes:
· Home Reading: Most students in Stage 3 are independent readers who can choose their own books from home and the library. Reading material does not have to be limited to books but can include magazines, newspapers and is to be for enjoyment. Students must bring in their reading logs daily, signed by a parent.
Spelling – students write out their words four times a week, ideally each day.
· Studyladder – upon signing the technology permission note, (further details soon), students will have a Studyladder account which they can access from home for their maths homework. Studyladder is used to differentiate homework for students and provide them with videos and an interactive, engaging space to revise mathematical concepts. Please note, no personal student details are used to access Studyladder.
- Please provide an oversized t-shirt or art shirt to help keep uniforms clean during art lessons.
- Please ensure all clothing, especially hats and jumpers, are clearly labelled.
It is a Departmental of Education requirement that parents provide a letter explaining a child’s absence from school. You can ring the office, write a letter or use the school app to inform the school of explained absences. Any leave (short or long term or partial ie; part of a day) must have the approval of the Principal. A letter beforehand will assist.
Asthma medication should be kept in the student’s schoolbag and the office, and class teachers need a copy of the Asthma Management Plan prepared by your doctor. All other medication MUST be kept at the office and parents will need to complete a medical indemnity form giving details of doses and times. If your child has any allergies or medical conditions that may require urgent treatment our school needs an Action Plan. Please contact us for more details about medical conditions.
Looking forward to a wonderful term
5/6R class teacher