5/6R - Welcome to Term 2
Here are just some of the things that we will be up to this term.
- Our shared novel this term is, ‘Vietnam Diary’ by Mark Wilson.
- Maths activities include:- place value, additive strategies, multiplicative strategies, decimals, fractions, 2D space, time and data
- Our unit of study in History is ‘Australia as a Nation’, examining stories of migration, Federation and how we come together as a Nation. We are all looking forward to our excursion to Canberra which will help to consolidate our understanding of these themes.
A reminder that our class assembly item is during assembly: Week 6 - Thursday 1st June, 2023.
Fitness: Please note students participate in fitness activities each day, so it is important for them to be wearing runners or shoes that are safe to run in every day.
Please make sure your child has the following equipment:-
- A ruler with millimetres (no metal or bendy ones please), lead pencils, blue, black and red pens, (simple biro pens with no fancy attachments please as they tend to be distracting), large scissors, glue, sharpener, eraser and coloured pencils enclosed in a small pencil case. Large pencil cases take up too much room on desks. Please label all items.
- With Winter approaching, if would be great if you could please provide a box of tissues for the class to use. Thank you to those families who have done so already.
- Please note: no liquid paper / whiteout
In preparation for high school, homework is able to be completed online through Google Classroom. Homework is to be returned to class teacher by Friday morning. Homework includes:
· Home Reading: Most students in Stage 3 are independent readers who can choose their own books from home and the library. Reading material does not have to be limited to books but can include magazines, newspapers and is to be for enjoyment. Students must bring in their reading logs at least once a week signed by a parent in order to be eligible to participate in our end of term reward (40 nights of home reading in one term).
· Spelling – students write out their words four times a week, ideally each day using the spelling strategies we use in class.
· Studyladder – upon signing the technology permission note, students will have a Studyladder account which they can access from home for their maths homework. Studyladder is used to differentiate homework for students and provide them with videos and an interactive, engaging space to revise mathematical concepts. Please note, no personal student details are used to access Studyladder.
- Please provide an oversized t-shirt or art shirt to help keep uniforms clean during art lessons.
- Please ensure all clothing, especially hats and jumpers, are clearly labelled.
It is a Departmental of Education requirement that parents provide a letter explaining a child’s absence from school. You can ring the office, write a letter or use the school app to inform the school of explained absences. Any leave (short or long term or partial ie; part of a day) must have the approval of the Principal. A letter beforehand will assist.
Asthma medication should be kept in the student’s schoolbag and the office, and class teachers need a copy of the Asthma Management Plan prepared by your doctor. All other medication MUST be kept at the office and parents will need to complete a medical indemnity form giving details of doses and times. If your child has any allergies or medical conditions that may require urgent treatment our school needs an Action Plan. Please contact us for more details about medical conditions.
Look out for school reports at the end of this term.
As always, if you have any queries or concerns about anything, please don’t hesitate to contact me via the school and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Looking forward to a wonderful term…
5/6R class teacher